Sunday, January 18, 2009

Stuff happens in threes

I've always been told that things happen in threes, especially bad things. Started off 2009 with a really bad case of pneumonia. While I was laid up with that we had a chimney fire that has pretty much ruined the chimney, even though our fantastic local firemen took great pains to keep their damage at a minimum. So I've been waiting to see what else was going to happen.

Didn't have to wait long. Late this afternoon, while attempting to put the Christmas tree and other decorations in the attic, the step where I was standing on the drop down ladder broke, throwing me to the floor. In an effort to break my fall I reached with my left arm, landing heavily on it, jamming my wrist and elbow. Had x-rays taken in the Emergency Room but they could not really tell if anything was broken. There is definitely some damage in the elbow. I already have an appointment with my regular doctor on Wednesday, a follow up to the pneumonia, so they gave me the x-rays to take to him.

So here I sit, typing with my right hand only, my left arm in a sling and fairly high on prescription pain killers. The third event has occurred so maybe the bad stuff is behind us for this new year.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Has been a great start to the year hasn't it been. Am sure that things will improve and sure hope that nothing serious is wrong with the arm and make sure Rick get all the sympathy he deserves.

Vicki and Don said...

Good grief! We just can't leave you alone for a minute, can we? Maybe we can commiserate together as I have a compressed nerve in my elbow! Only mine doesn't hurt me...my fingers/hand are just numb/tingly! Don't you know that at our age we can't "afford" to fall! Hope that you are better soon and done with the bad stuff! You're right though...it does come in threes! So now you're finished with it all and the rest of the year will be super! Hope to see you both soon!

Shelley said...

This is terrible! But at least you aren't having to type with your left hand :-)

Do you know what caused the chimney fire? My impression is that enclosed wood stoves come with liners for the chimney, but I've never had one so I don't know. Even though we burn gas now instead of the original coal fires, an annual chimney cleaning (no longer done by swabbing with young boys) is recommended. I can only remember having had it done once in the last 12 years; maybe it's time to look at that again.

Re: one of the other posts, Joanne, if he's high on pain killers, you don't need to waste any sympathy, do you?!!

Hope you're right about this being the 3 for the year! Shelley

Marlene Rea said...

Just think now you have all the bad stuff out of the way, you can expect only good stuff. Hope all heals quickly. We had a great time seeing the "gang" at Quartzsite; sorry you were not able to join us. The smores were yummy at the campfire.

Marlene & Bob