Friday, February 13, 2009

The sling is gone!

Just a quick update on the old arm. Went to the doctor this morning for a checkup on my arm. They took new xrays and all seems to be healing well. He was surprised at the amount of motion I already had. That is probably because I've been cheating a bit and slipping out of the sling so I could use the keyboard on this computer. (Did you know that 70% of your typing is done with the left hand?)

He took the bandages away and I no longer have to wear a sling. The stitches are still there but will come out next week. All that is left is to get back to using it and 1) build up my strength in that arm and 2) work the soreness out and recover full motion. I've already found being rid of the sling has helped. With the sling my daily trips to the gun range have required me to only use one hand in my punching holes in the target. Today I was able to use both hands and my aim has gotten back where it belongs. Although I remember the doctor telling me it would be a "one inch incision" here is what I wound up with.

Things are looking up and I hope to be back to normal use by the first week of March when we head out for California, Nevada and other points west.

5 comments:

Vicki and Don said...

Glad to know that the sling is gone and you're regaining the use of your arm! I gotta tell you though...that incision looks NASTY! :-) We're looking forward to seeing you both soon!

Shelley said...

Yeah, thank you for sharing that...

70%? Are you sure? That's amazing!

Like the changes to your blog...I'll have to get you to tell me how you did that sometime!

Glad things are improving over there!

Shelley

Pete said...

Repeatedly lifting a heavy, beer filled tankard with your left arm might provide some excellent therapy. Don't worry if it's a little uncomfortable at first - after four or five cycles you will feel no pain.

Unknown said...

Rick, Glad to hear the sling is gone and BTW you didn't need to show the pic words would have been fine for the faint at heart. You will be back 100% very soon if you keep up with the rehab.

Unknown said...

Wow Rick! If that's the doctor's idea of a one inch incision I'd believe any fish story he told me. :^) Glad to hear you're able to use your arm again though.
Gary Palmer