Monday, June 22, 2009

2009 Stone Family Reunion

The Stone family gathers every other year for our family reunion. This reunion is for the descendants of W. A. and Martha Stone, my paternal grandparents. My dad is the sixth of the eight children. At age 90 he is now the oldest with just his younger brother and sister still living.

This past Saturday the clan gathered at the Senior Citizen/Community Center in Byars, Oklahoma. This is where my dad was born, grew up and met my mother. This is also where my grandfather, William Alexander Stone, farmed and later served as Mayor. The Byars Cemetery holds many, if not most, of the Stone Clan that has gone before us. We had a good turnout considering how many of Dad's generation have passed on. As his siblings left us their offspring tended to stop coming to the reunions. The picture to the right is of my parents, George and Max Stone. They are both 90 years old and have been married for 72 years.

This is one occasion that my brothers and I try not to miss. All four of us were there to celebrate the family. The picture to the left is of the four of us (Chester, Bill, David, Me) with my dad and his younger brother, Dale. With the cousins and other family members we had better than 40 attend. My cousins, Yvonne and Bob Graham, came from Florida for the reunion. They almost always come and stay at our house while they are here. They have spent the weekend with us and will be heading back to Florida tomorrow.


As I have mentioned in previous post on this blog my dad wrote a book about his life. The first version was printed this past fall. After we got it printed he thought of all the stuff he left out so he started over. The latest version is now completed and he presented it at the reunion, giving each family present a copy. This is a truly remarkable book. Dad wrote it all out in longhand on legal pads and then I typed and edited it. We have filled it with pictures from over the years, including not only family pictures but many from his world travels. This is what the finished project looks like.

No comments: