Sunday, October 2, 2011

Grave hunting--With a helper

Back to the cemetery with a little helper.

Decided not to wait until Monday to go back out and work my list of graves. We have our middle grand daughter, Aurora, with us today. We picked up Joanne's mom and the four of us went to lunch. Afterward we dropped Joanne and her mom off at their respective houses and Aurora, who is five, and I headed to Chapel Hill Cemetery. She had never been to a cemetery and was not really sure what to expect. With the amount of walking that is required I figured she'd tire out pretty quick.

We started in a section that only had a couple of graves on the list, then moved across the road to work a bigger section. That done we took a break back to the car to drink some water and regroup. There were a few in a small section at the front of the cemetery where I could park the car really close. Aurora waited there while I worked those. By then she had her second wind so we moved on. All in all we got about two-thirds of our list done. All but one section and it is the biggest part of the cemetery. I'll work up the ones we got tonight, add some more on and go out and do the rest tomorrow.

This was a new experience for Aurora and she seemed fascinated with the headstones with their bright colored flower displays. She asked many questions about the markers, the new graves that did not have grass growing on them yet and about the many religious statues that adorn this cemetery. About halfway between Chapel Hill and our house is Resurrection Cemetery, where Jo's dad is buried. It is directly across the street from the Wal-Mart store. We stopped at the store and bought some flowers and then went over to Resurrection so she could put flowers on his grave. I previously had placed an America Flag there so we mixed it in with the flowers. Before leaving she wanted to pause and say a prayer for who would have been her great-grandfather who she never got to meet.

All in all a fine day. Got some more grave searches completed and had a good time with one of my favorite people. After we returned to the house Aurora and Grandma are spending time together baking up some Halloween cookies.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

That would be an interesting experience for a 5-year old! When I was that age, my aunts used to love to tell me scary stories about being buried alive...I don't know if I could've handled the graveyard visit with that twisted back ground. She must have better behaved aunts.