Saturday, April 28, 2012

Doing plant duty

New statues and plants for the entryway.

Working flower beds and taking care of plants has never really been my thing.  My Dad always had beautiful flower beds but that did not rub off on us boys.  Taking care of these things at the house here always fell to Joanne.  She also had numerous house plants that she would move out into the entryway every spring and bring back into the house in the fall.


A couple of years ago we had some hedges and ground cover removed from the entryway area and filled it all in with river rock.  We debated back and forth about what we wanted to put out there.  I wanted a big eagle statue but Jo vetoed that.  Instead we put two large flower pots there with smaller pots sitting in the middle of them.  Each spring she would put in some new flowers in both the large and the small pots.  So far this year all that was in the pots were left over dead plants from last year plus some weeds that had sprouted up.  Also several large weeds were coming up in the bed that goes across the front of the house. 

Earlier in the week I went up to Statuary World in Edmond to see if I could find a good eagle statue that I liked.  Not only did I find an eagle but also a great little statue of a sailor.  I bought both and today installed them in front.  I removed the smaller pots and put the new statues in the middle of the big pots.  A trip to a garden shop this morning got me a flat of petunias to plant in the big pots around the base of the statues.  I also brought out Jo's house plants that survived even with the lack of attention over this winter.  Four of them survived and I put some petunias in the pots of the two that did not.  (Earlier in the year, before I left for Florida last January, I gave the biggest and best plant to my next door neighbor.  It was a huge Aloe Vera plant that Joanne and raised from just a small cutting several years ago.)  I also removed the large weeds that were sprouting in the bed out in front of the house.  There are several of the plants that Joanne planted over the years that are coming back in full force so that bed will take care of itself.  (The central sprinkling system we had put in last year keeps that front bed watered over the summer.)

So, Joanne's large flower pots are still there and now have some color added and I have my eagle.  The eagle and the sailor are both facing the flag pole in the front yard.  The sailor statue has a pose of "hand salute" so it is appropriate that he be facing the flag.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Well, I have to say I'm impressed at your gardening efforts. I am not a gardener by natural impulse either, but it is something I wish I liked more. I do find that once I get started I don't mind it too much, I just feel generally inept and a bit lost in that environment. The front of your house looks tidy and well kept, and colourful. Not sure what I think about the statues, but you like them and that's what is important. Well done.