Saturday, May 17, 2008

A mini Stone family reunion

Today we had a family get together. We normally have a family reunion every other year in June. The one today was an impromptu gathering put together by my father to get the family together for some pictures and visiting. This also was to help celebrate my parents 71 wedding anniversary, which was this past Thursday, May 15. We had the gathering at the American Farmers Ranchers building in downtown Oklahoma City. This historic building was the first high school in Oklahoma City, built in 1907, and was originally called Oklahoma High School. As other high schools were built in the city the name was changed to Central High School. The school closed some years ago due to the low number of school aged residents in the downtown area. Southwestern Bell Telephone (now AT&T) bought the building after the school closed and completely remodeled the interior. When they moved out a couple of years ago Oklahoma Farmers Union bought the building. My father had served as President of OFU from 1956 to 1980. He still sits on the Board of Directors of this organization which has now changed it's name to American Farmers & Ranchers. In the picture to the left my father welcomes everyone as my mother looks on.


We had around 40 people show up today. In addition to us four sons and our families, several cousins were there along with Dad's younger brother and sister. My folks are both 89 years old. Dad is the sixth of eight children in his family. Only the youngest three are still living. Mom is the middle of three children. Both her younger brother and older sister have passed on. In the picture to the right is my brother, David, with his family plus Ray Wulf, current President of American Farmers & Ranchers, and my oldest son, Alex.


As to my family, all were there except for my oldest grand daughter. Emma was sick and her mother decided to keep her home. Both of my sons, Alex and Alan, were there along with Alan's two youngest daughters, Aurora and Cadence. Aurora is two years old and Cadence is one. The picture to the left is Alex, holding Aurora, and Alan, holding Cadence. Although all three of my grand daughters have different mothers they all have a major resemblance to Alan, their daddy.



Here is a picture of the proud grandpa with his girls. The families don't see as much of each other as we did when I was growing up. With every ones busy lives today it just does not seem to work out. It is a real shame. I was fortunate to be able to grow up knowing and socializing with my many cousins. Most of our kids today hardly know each other. Bill, the oldest of my brothers has a daughter and grand daughter that both live in Florida. His son passed away several years ago. Chester, the next oldest, has three sons and a daughter plus four grand kids. David has a son and a daughter plus a daughter-in-law who live in Tulsa. As mentioned I, the youngest, have two sons and three grand daughters. None of our kids have grown up around each other. Again, that is unfortunate and I think they really missed out.


Anyway, this was a great day for all the family and a great show of respect to my parents.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great day around family!!!! Agree that it is now ashame that families aren't as close as they were years ago. Guess thats what makes reunions,including motorhome rallys, so much fun.

Unknown said...

Are you getting excited about finally turning the wheels on that coach? Dumb question huh!! Drive safe and have an enjoyable time.