Thursday, March 24, 2011

East Coast Bound--Day 22

A walk on the beach and a great dinner.

Today was a relaxing day of not doing much. Checked out a couple of the surf shops here on Tybee Island and then came back to the coach to vegetate. Later in the afternoon we walked down to the beach and strolled up and down there for awhile. The City of tybee has an ordinance against dogs on the beach so the "kids" had to stay behind in the coach. Joanne took off her shoes and tested the surf as it rolled ashore. We are told the water temperature in this part of the Atlantic is around 58 degrees. While we were out there the tide started to come in and the waves picked up a bit. I still have not figured out the tide tables here. You would think an old sailor would know something about these things but that was not my responsibility. I left navigation and ship handling to the Quartermasters and Boatswain Mates. I always thought the tide went out and came in once per day. I'm told that here the tide goes out and then returns every six hours.

Later in the evening we drove over to Diane and Russ' house for a home cooked dinner. We took the pups with us so they could play with Diane's dogs. In addition to her usual six dogs she still has the little Poodle she started fostering when we were here last November. Also, she has two very small puppies, that are only a couple weeks old, that had been thrown into a dumpster in a sack. Diane has a big heart when it comes to animals and is always taking them in and finding homes for them. Our little Bridgit Jeane had a big time with the dogs she had spent several weeks with before we were able to get here last November to pick her up. On the other hand, Buddy Joe was a bit overwhelmed again with all the commotion. Dinner was great, as it usually is at their house, and we had a good visit. Here is Diane with her two Miniature Schnauzers and the little Poodle.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Puppies in a dumpster! How sad. What sort of people do that kind of thing? I don't know about tides either, but our local freebie paper tells us the times for high tide - twice every twenty four hours I gather. I don't pay much attention other than when I'm on the beach I make sure I don't get cut off - loads of people do and have to be rescued, which I think is pretty silly of them.