Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012

Not the best Valentine's Day I've ever had.

Took some new flowers for my Sweetheart today in honor of Valentine's Day. Have mixed emotions whenever I go down to Byars to the cemetery. I'm always glad to go, seems that I'm closer to her down there, but it is always a very emotional time. Fortunately no one else was there this afternoon so I did not have to try to talk to anyone.

The red roses are the new ones I took today. Jo always enjoyed getting roses from me. (The blue and purple flowers are artificial. I put them there the last week of December, just before I left for Florida. With the way the winds whips across this cemetery it is surprising they are still in such good condition.) I also put some of these red roses on my Mom's grave, which is two spaces to the left of Joanne's. It was really hard to have lost two of the most important women in my life in the same year. Also found myself having a little trouble with the 60 mile drive back home. It's really hard to drive when your eyes are filled with liquid.

Anyway, this was the way I spent my Valentine's Day. I hope all who read this had a much better and enjoyable day.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Well, it was never going to be a great day was it? I would imagine every significant anniversary will be painful for a while. If you can have some good days or even just peaceful ones in between, that would be nice. "This too shall pass" helps me through painful periods, but there is no knowing how soon, of course. The roses are lovely. Do you know anyone down in Byars? Might do your sad heart some good to visit with someone living and do them good as well. Don't forget to take good care of yourself!

Rick Stone said...

Shelley, most days are okay. Keeping myself busy helps plus surrounding myself with my kids, grandkids and my Dad.

The only connection we have to Byars anymore is the cemetery. We're probably related, in one way or another, to about 1/3 of the 900or so folks that are buried there. My grandparents house is still there but the current owners have left it vacant for several years. (That is also a sad situation.)