Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day Revisited

Another prospective on the day.

After re-reading the post I did on Valentine's Day I realize how much of a downer it was. I had to look back on previous times to remember some fun we had with it.

In the first few years after we got married we both made a big deal of it, each trying to outdo ourselves from the previous year. My favorite present from her was when she had a dozen "long stemmed chocolate chip cookies" delivered to my office. (Very large cookies on long artificial stems brought is a long, white box like roses would be delivered.) My last really big deal was the time I hired a barbershop quartet to go to her office and sing to her. They were all dressed in Tuxedos with matching bow ties and tennis shoes. After presenting her with one red rose they proceeded to sing a few songs for her. The funniest part was when they crowded into her small office she was on a long distance call to one of the outlying county office's. This made for an extended call as she laid down the phone and let the folks on the other end listen to the music.

It was very hard to top the quartet so after a few years of marriage Valentine's Day got to be routine. I would buy Joanne roses and chocolates (she did love chocolate) and she would get me a card and a big bag of peanut M&M's. We would go out to eat that evening. That worked well for us.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

You're recently bereaved, so you're allowed to be down! It is good to remember happy times, though. I vaguely remember hearing about those long stemmed chocolate chip cookies - or perhaps I just think I did. You are fortunate that you have your family around you and that you hadn't moved out of state or anything. If anything happened to Bill before me I think I might struggle a bit to find that support. So, we'll just continue to hope our plane crashes... what black humour I have today!