Sunday, March 4, 2012

Happy Birthday to my Mom

Today is special. This would have been Maskell L. Stone's 93 birthday.


On March 4, 1919, one of the finest women to ever grace this earth was born. She went on to be a great wife, mother and grandmother and is missed by all who knew her. At the time of her death in May 2011 she had, in addition to her husband of 74 years, four sons, nine grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild. The standing joke was that our Mom was a petrified weed, since her maiden name was Weed but she became a Stone.

Thanks to our Dad's job she got to travel throughout the world. During that time she traveled to almost every state in the union and many foreign countries. After many years of these travels she tired of it and let Dad go on many of these trips alone or with one of his employees. She did enjoy traveling to Hawaii and they were able to visit there several times. They also came to Alaska to visit while my brother, David, and I were both stationed there with the Navy.




On one of her many visits to Hawaii.

My mom was one of my best friends and I miss her dearly. On this past Friday my Dad and I went to the cemetery and installed a retractable flower vase in front of her tombstone, along with one at my dear wife's marker. We left a bouquet of red roses for Mom. Although she has been gone since May of last year my Dad says there is not a day that goes by that he does not look over to her recliner and expect to see her sitting there.




Maskell Lee (Weed) Stone

March 4, 1919 - May 22, 2011


3 comments:

Rod said...

Nice tribute, Rick. My Mother was also born in 1919 and passed away last june.

Shelley said...

Rick, Any idea where your Mom's given name originated? It's quite an unusual one. Love the bit about Weed and Stone!

Rick Stone said...

Shelley, there is no telling considering the Weed family. Her dad's name was Lucien Quenton Cashion Weed but was called "Blackie" by everyone. Mom's younger brother was named Elihu Jackson Weed. From my research it does not appear Maskell was a family name but my Uncle Jack was named after Blackie's father, who was Elihu Jack Weed.