Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day in this country.  This is the day we are to decorate the graves of our loved ones.  It all started as "Decoration Day" and was a day to decorate the graves and honor of the people who had died as a result of serving in our armed forces.  Later the name was changed to Memorial Day and has, over the years, come to be a day to decorate all graves, not just those of Veterans.

I did my decorating duties this past Saturday at the family plots in the cemetery in Byars, Oklahoma.  (See previous blog entry.)  Due to some medical issues that I'm having taken care of later this week I have been limited in what I can do.  Actually I overdid things last Saturday and paid for it yesterday.  Today I was feeling a bit better so I drove out to Chapel Hill Cemetery here in Oklahoma City to take some more grave pictures for the website findagrave.com.  This is a large cemetery that I've been visiting for some time in an attempt to get all the graves documented in Find A Grave.  Today the place was full of people seeking out their loved ones graves.  Wound up spending about two hours there taking pictures of headstones and visiting with some of the people there.  Most people find it interesting as to why I'm there with a camera taking headstone pictures.  In most cases people are very appreciative of what we are trying to accomplish.

I was inspired by the number of people out today and it really lifted my spirits.  After returning home I decided to look up on the Internet some of the tunes posted by my good friends, Ron & Kay Rivoli.  One of my favorites is the one they made specifically for Memorial Day.  It is called "Freedom Is Not Free".  They have recorded several video's of this number on You Tube over the years.  Please go to You Tube to hear what these folks have to say about this special day by clicking on the name of the song above.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

We planted some new shrubs and flowers today in memory of Bill's aunt Nora, whose funeral we attended yesterday. She was 98 when she died. I'm not used to gardening and I suspect I'm going to be hurting tomorrow. Not to mention that we got rear-ended this afternoon on the way to the garden centre. There was no harm to Bill's car and the law doesn't require reporting accidents with no damage, but I'm wondering if part of my stiffness is due to that as well...

Rick Stone said...

Sorry to hear of you and Bill's loss. 98 years is a long life. If you don't notify the police of an accident how do you prove who was at fault? Or does it matter who was at fault, insurance wise? Some states here tried "no fault" insurance but it failed to work out in each of those states. Of course, if there was not damage to the car and with socialized medicine maybe it does not matter who was at fault. (My old days as an insurance agent are coming out I guess.)

Shelley said...

Actually, the NHS is getting more interested in insurance policies in situations like this - they pass their costs along to the insurance policy. Bill never thought to ask if I was OK, so we wouldn't have been able to prove anything at all, except to point out that the white van that hit us was dented. The stiff neck only lasted a few days and then went away, fortunately.