Saturday, January 21, 2012

Florida Bound 2012--Day 17

Moving day plus lunch in Tampa with kinfolk.

Yesterday was moving day again. Ron & Kay had a performance scheduled for today in Clermont, Florida, and were going down yesterday. Since my coach was parked in front of the gate to their backyard I had to pull out first so they could get their coach out. I have an appointment at Alliance Coach in Wildwood for some minor repairs for next Monday so I decided to come on over here and get set up in Alliance's campground. We had been here before, back in 2007, when the place was still owned by Monaco Coach Corporation and was Monaco's southeast service center. (The sign in the picture is in front of an overgrown pond that is adjacent to the RV park here at Alliance.) Got in here around 3:30 yesterday afternoon.

Today I drove down to Tampa, about 70 miles, to meet up for lunch with my niece, Kellie, and her family. (Kellie is the daughter of my oldest brother.) They wanted to have lunch at Columbia Restaurant in an older section of town. This, apparently, is a very famous and popular place that has been in business since 1905. Their specialty is Cuban food, which was a new experience for me. The food was very good as was the company and conversation. It has been about 33 years since I last saw Kellie so we had a lot of catching up to do. She had brought her laptop and I had brought a flash drive with an abundance of pictures of the family. In addition to Kellie we were joined by her daughter, Michelle, and Michelle's three boys. This was the first time I had the pleasure of meeting Michelle and the boys. As anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis knows I have a great enjoyment of family and today was great as I met new family members.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Thirty-three years! That's amazing and it sounds as though she was pleased to catch up with you, too. The photos on the restaurant website are lovely. I've never met Cuban food either. I hope some day in the not too distant future that sanctions on Cuba will be lifted so that I might visit. Every one who as gone has said it was a great place to visit. I don't like strong coffee or cigars, mind! They'll have to come up with something else for me!