Friday, January 6, 2012

Florida Bound 2012-Day 2

Nice leisurely drive but still in Louisiana.

Up and around early this morning but not so quick to get going. After taking care of the dogs and then getting myself ready it was after 8:00 before we were ready to roll. Then we backtracked a couple of miles to the Flying J to fill the fuel tank with diesel and fill the propane tank. Finally around 9:30 we were out on the road. We drove a little under 300 miles to the Baton Rouge area.

We are currently in the Cajun Country RV Park in Port Allen, Louisiana. It was an easy drive down Interstate 49. I've learned over the past year that when Bridgit Jeane starts to whine it means she needs to get out to do her business NOW. At home, when the back door was closed, I've ignored her at my own peril. She will tell me when she needs to go out and if I don't listen then she will find a place in the house to go, usually in the middle of the living room floor. So, she has gotten me to stopping about every two hours or so. This is really a good thing since we all need to take a few minutes to get out and walk around.

After getting into Port Allen and getting the coach set up I decided to go see a ship. Over the years I have dragged Joanne thought a very large number of museum ships around the country. Pretty much anytime we were close to a former Navy ship that has been turned into a museum we would go, from the USS Pampinito (a submarine) in San Francisco to the USS Yorktown (an aircraft carrier) in Charleston, South Carolina. We even spent a week on a "work party" helping to preserve the USS Salem in Quincy, Massachusetts. (The Salem is a sister ship to my old ship the USS Newport News.) Anyway, in the past couple of years I've pretty much done the ship museum thing by myself so today was not any different. The USS Kidd, a World War II destroyer, is tied up next to the Interstate 10 bridge over the Mississippi River. So off I went this afternoon to take the tour. They have done a very good job of refurbishing this ship and it has a really good naval/military museum next door.

After leaving the Kidd I returned to the coach to take care of the dogs. They were ready for a walk and then supper. The three of us are settling into a pretty good routine. They enjoy the walks and are good company to travel with.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

I expect the more frequent breaks and walks are good for you as well as the dogs - help keep your concentration going. We had a neighbour whose old King Charles Spaniel died, when he got a new puppy it walked his legs off. I'm sure that young dog added 5-10 years to Matthew's life.

My impression of your home life was that you didn't rise until 10 or so - how is it that you are such an early bird in the RV?

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

Rick just wanted to let you know in 67-68 on was on the Helo Det on USS Shangri-La in the Med. The Newport News was the Flagship and I made several trips to it and landed on their helo deck. Lot's of room considering the smaller ships we had to get on.Have a great trip, and Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

Rick Stone said...

Shelly--since Jo died I have become primary caretaker of the pups. They have this habit of needing to go outside each morning and then expect breakfast. Life is very different now.

Shelley said...

Ah yes, dogs are like that...still, they are worth it.